Abby Wormsbaker, Staff Writer

Abby Wormsbaker, Staff Writer

“These next four years are going to be great!”  I thought to myself as I walked into the doors of Keller High School on the first day of my freshman year while listening to an Arctic Monkeys song through one of my headphone speakers. Boy, was I wrong.

My experiences in high school were a lot different than I had anticipated; however, at the same time they weren’t. I learned several years prior to my freshman year that as Stephen Chbosky says, “things change. and friends leave. life doesn’t stop for anybody.”

I walked into this school with that quote (and book) in mind knowing that a lot of things were about to change, whether I liked it or not. People would soon be going their own separate ways and at the time, I liked to have imagined that I’d make memories with people I never knew existed, make new friends, probably have my heart broken a few times here and there, and maybe even spend many nights driving around the town that I am growing up in all before I get ready to head off to a big university somewhere far far away. I want this tribute to be 100 percent raw and honest, so it’s best for you to know that only some of that is true.

For me, high school was not about living a crazy adolescent life and doing things to remember when I’m older. High school was spending time with the people I could wrap my arms around before they left, seeing family when I could, investing myself in any form of art like film, books, cooking, writing, music, and working so much that I’d find myself in bed asleep as early as I could on most nights. For me, high school was working hard to pass classes only to get into community college and wishing the days away until leaving this town was only a few short moments away. However, one of the many things I have learned so far in my life is what John Lennon says: “life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans.”. So I accepted what was given and carried on.

Don’t get me wrong; I am grateful for a lot of things that have happened to me within these last few years: the people who have come and gone and the accomplishments I have made. I have grown into someone I admire, but how truthful should I be when talking about such a diversely answered topic? High school can be great for some, but not so great for others…and that’s the bittersweet truth.

Nevertheless, as I continue on with my life I will take these last four years with me and continue to grow. Despite the hard days that turned into hard weeks and months, I will take what I have learned and dwell with it. I will remember the people and the teachers who have helped mold me into the writer/person I am today (whether they know the impact they’ve had on me or not). I will remember them and I will continue to be grateful for them. 

To everybody who has passed through my life from kindergarten until now (whether we speak or not) and to every teacher I have ever had: from the bottom of my heart, thank you for being a part of my life in whichever way that was. Thank you. I am grateful to have known you and I wish you the world.

I’m graduating very soon. Eventually I’ll blink and find myself out in the “real world” learning more things than I know now. I look forward to what my future holds even though right now it seems distant and unclear. But I know that it will be beautiful. Anybody who knows me knows that I love quotes that are powerful, inspiring, and real. I’ve used a few already and I’m using one from David Bowie to close this tribute out because it fits a farewell: “I don’t know where I’m going from here, but I promise it won’t be boring.”