Faces of KISD: Christi McFarland

Keller High School English Teacher

Cindy Ciotta, Assistant Editor

Keller High School alumnus Christi McFarland is currently teaching her third year as sophomore English teacher here at KHS. Growing up in Keller, McFarland knows first hand the high standards that KISD teachers set and the lasting impact they can leave on students. She chose to come back to her hometown to teach because of the family-oriented environment and the good teachers who formed relationships with her and made class fun. In particular, she mentioned Jeff Robins, her seventh grade keyboarding teacher and eighth grade science teacher.  “He was there for me,” McFarland said, and that showed her the most important part of being a teacher, having relationships with students.

McFarland taught in Grand Prairie for one year at the beginning of her career, and her eyes were opened to some of the devastating circumstances students endured in that town. From students addicted to drugs, cursing out teachers, to those whose families were starving and homeless, many had a difficult time respecting the teachers and putting effort into their studies.

While learning how to teach students with difficult circumstances, McFarland struggled to gain the respect of her students. She later became depressed and stopped going to church. She became increasingly suicidal and it was negatively affecting her family life. She eventually went to counseling and then started going back to church, which is what brought her out of her dark place. One verse that kept her going was 2 Peter 3:9 NIV, “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” She wants students to know that they could turn to God instead of taking their own life.

McFarland enjoys teaching sophomore English. “I love teaching persuasion and challenging students to know and argument what they believe in order to effectively communicate.” Skills learned in English, especially in the vigorous pre-AP and AP classes, can help students in real life. But even more important than grades to McFarland is for students to truly learn and focus on their progress and not compare themselves to others. She said, “You are more important than the number on the top of your page.”

McFarland has been married for twelve years and has two children, Keller, 11, and Christian, 9. Some of her hobbies that include reading, watching TV shows, going swimming with her family, and watching her two sons play baseball.