2017: The Year of Expectations

Megan Mousaw, Online Editor

As another year starts, a brand new list of expectations and goals start to form in our minds. We can all agree that 2016 was a year of many ups and downs, with so many tragic losses and events. We lost Prince, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Carrie Fisher, and so many more. 2016 was also home to many tragic events, like the shooting at the Florida nightclub, the shooting in Dallas, which killed five police officers, Donald Trump being elected president, and the list can go on and on. With all that 2016 had to offer, 2017 has some expectations: don’t be a horrible year.

So far, 2017 is doing alright. But, we are only in January, so let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We all have our hopes for 2017, whether they are big goals or tiny accomplishments. If you are a senior in high school, you will be graduating this year and entering the next stage of your life, whether it be college or another path you choose to take. If you are a junior in high school, you are currently tackling one of the toughest years of school yet, with AP classes, the SATs and ACTs, possibly a job, and soon, you’ll have to start thinking about college. For you sophomores and freshmen, you guys got it a bit easier. Some sophomores may be working on getting their licenses, and freshmen may be working hard to survive their first year of high school.

Outside of our high school world, however, the rest of the country and the world have their expectations. It feels like the whole country, along with the rest of the world, is watching the United States closely as president elect Donald Trump takes office, waiting for his first actions as president. Maybe we hope to learn about new technology that will be taking shape in 2017, or maybe new life saving medicines. Or, on a lighter note, we are watching and listening in awe as so many groundbreaking and breathtaking movies, music, plays, or TV shows are being produced and released.

With all this considered, I hope everyone reading this has an amazing 2017. Sure, there will be some good days and some bad days where you just want to rip your hair out, but don’t let those bad days get you down. 2017 is going to be a great year full of happiness and opportunity if we all put our minds to it.