AVID: It’s not just a class; it’s a family

Chastity Frazier, Staff Writer

The question on everyone’s mind is, what is AVID?

AVID’s mission statement is “to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.”

AVID stands for Advanced via Individual Determination, it is all about helping with your success and preparing you for college. The students are expected to keep a 3-inch binder, take Cornell notes, keep an updated planner, and attend in class tutorials every week.

“[AVID] takes good students and makes them great,” three year AVID teacher, Coach Clark said. “Being in AVID motivates students to set and accomplish goals, I see it everyday, it’s incredible.”

AVID students get to visit two colleges every year, one each semester, which gives them the opportunity to see what it’s and get them thinking of where they want to attend.

Sophomore, Kamryn Kerske has been apart of AVID for two years. “AVID has helped me open up to new things, the family environment we have in class gave me the opportunity to come out of my shell.”

In class, they have tutorials twice a week, socratic seminars, WICOR practice (Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading) and even fun fridays!

AVID students focus on the path they have in front of them, and strive to be the best they can be.