Don Broco Goes From UK To Dallas

Back to Article
Back to Article

Don Broco Goes From UK To Dallas

Taylor West, Assistant Editor

Concerts and tour dates for bands work similar to clockwork. A band decides to do either a continental or world tour, picks various dates and cities, and then dedicates the next few months of their lives to jumping from city to city playing shows. Finally, at the end of the tour they reminisce about the memories made and ultimately end up announcing yet another tour for the following year.

While the schedule of tours can often be predictable, snagging a ticket to a show you’ve been dying to see for some time makes the wait all worthwhile.

I recently got the opportunity to see a band whose tour in America is a must-see along with four different bands. The Artificial Selection tour was announced by headliner and metalcore band Dance Gavin Dance early in the new year. Named after their eighth solo-album, Artificial Selection features clean vocalist Tilian Pearson and unclean vocalist Jonny Craig. They welcomed Covet, Hail The Sun, Don Broco, and Periphery — all different types of music and performers. The five bands opened the tour strong with the annual SwanFest in Anaheim, California and will make a full finishing circle at the El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles, California, mid May. So far the tour has been beyond successful by selling out nearly every venue.

The first band to open the stage at South Side Music Hall in downtown Dallas was Covet. The American band plays instrumental progressive rock, fitting in both perfectly and subtly into the rest of the harder sounding bands accompanying them on tour. The energy of the band gave way for fans to convert their pre-assumptions about instrumental bands into a new understanding of what exactly that type of music entails. By taking on one of the most challenging things an opener among many other– playing first to a crowd whose yet to warm up — Covet got everyone pumped all while holding their own.

Following Covet was Hail The Sun, an American, post-hardcore band. The trio of friends who’ve been playing together for more than a decade bring all different styles and ideas of their own which can easily be seen through their performance. They played songs from their newest album, Mental Knife, which released September of last year. They had yet take a tour for the most recent album, which brought fans who’ve been aching to see how the band was going to present the songs satisfaction. For someone who’s had no prior knowledge about Hail The Sun nor being the biggest fan of the music genre, I enjoyed how energetic and involved they were with the crowd.

The third band up to preform was Don Broco, the band I had been highly anticipating to see. Don Broco is the only non-American rock band on the tour; originating out of Bedford, England, the band released their freshman album back in 2012 and put out their most recent one, Technology, in February of last year. Lead singer Rob Damiani made a loud statement with a vintage PacMan shirt and dad shorts. To show his enthusiasm to be playing in Texas, Damiani pulled the look together with high cactus socks, the entire look telling the crowd he wasn’t here to play around. Lead guitarist Simon Delaney also made a fashion statement with his signature short shorts that instantly had the crowd captivated. With the choice of clothing being the bands hook, the real pull of it all began with the first note of their opening song, “Everybody.”

Only seconds into the set, Don Broco had the entire venue off their feet and jumping along to a largely established stage presence by Damini. What set the third band apart from the rest was the announcement Damini made to the crowd during the song of their titled album, Technology. Without formally telling the crowd, Damini asked “the pit” to open in the center of the venue; and the crowd did as told. During the next few songs the crowd moshed and headbanged to debatably the “softest” rock of the openers. By their most well-known song “Come Out To LA,” Damini had successfully gotten the crowd to do what many hardcore bands plead fans to do: a wall of death. All too soon the band was playing their closing song, “T-Shirt Song,” in which fans ritually do as the song says by “taking off their shirts and swinging them around their heads,” an act even those who didn’t know the band partook in. Overall, Don Broco rocked the stage with captivating dance moves and amazing music. By aiding Dance Gavin Dance in selling out the venue, Don Broco thrived in the continent where they aren’t well-known with very high possibilities of headlining their very own tour in America.

After Don Broco played both Periphery and Dance Gavin Dance, though I was not able to stay to see the headliner. During Periphery’s set I was able to met and converse with Damini, a humble and smiley person whose British accent fits perfect with his inviting smiles and thanks. The concert was amazing, all the bands played flawlessly and the experience was memorable.