• Listen to NDN Radio at kndn.playtheradio.com

Top Ten Christmas Movies

Back to Article
Back to Article

Top Ten Christmas Movies

Gwen Morovitz, Assistant Editor

This time of year with the weather cooling down and the sun going down a lot earlier is perfect for curling up on the couch with hot chocolate and warm blankets to watch a Christmas movie. Here’s a list of ten great classics that are perfect for the Christmas season:

1. Frosty the Snowman- A holiday classic, Frosty the Snowman is a wonderful story of kids building a snowman made out of special “Christmas Snow” and using a magician’s hat, the snowman comes to life. It’s a heartwarming story that has been around for decades.
  2. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer- Another holiday classic that cannot be forgotten, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is a story of a unique reindeer born with a red nose and told his whole life that he needs to hide it from the other reindeers and most importantly, Santa Claus. Going along with Rudolph’s storyline is the struggle of Hermey, one of Santa’s Elves who really just wants to be a dentist. Both Hermey and Rudolph are ridiculed for being “misfits” and embark on their own journey to be themselves.
  3. It’s a Wonderful Life- This is my personal favorite Christmas movie because of the humble story of George Bailey who has spent his whole life doing good for others and making sacrifices to better the lives of people around him, even if it means missing a chance for a career with his friends or going on a honeymoon with his wife. This heartwarming story is an eye opener that helps put life into perspective for not only George Bailey but for the audience, as we see how much his life affected others. It’s a great reminder of how important family and friends are.
  4. A Christmas Carol- Any version of this story, whether it be the Muppet Christmas Carol, Mickey’s Christmas Carol, Disney’s Christmas Carol, or many other remakes, are great stories to enjoy during the holiday season. Charles Dickens’ classic story of Scrooge and his past, present, and future are emotional journeys as you watch Scrooge’s cold heart realize all that he’s done to the people around him and how he can better himself. This story is a great mood changer for those who are feeling blue during the most wonderful time of year.
  5. Miracle on 34th Street- Similar to It’s a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street is a extremely heartwarming story of a young girl and her mother who live realistically and don’t believe in Santa Claus or the magic of Christmas. With the help of the real Santa Claus and a nice man who wins the heart of the mother over, the magic of Christmas is restored with a miracle just in time for Christmas.
  6. A Charlie Brown Christmas- Who could possibly forget Charlie Brown? The short and sweet story of Charlie Brown looking for inspiration during a highly commercialized time of year is a humbling reminder of the true meaning of Christmas.
  7. The Santa Clause- Another one of my personal favorites, The Santa Clause starring Tim Allen is a modern Christmas story about a single father and businessman, Scott Calvin who has his son stay the night over Christmas Eve. Santa falls off his roof and Scott and Charlie must take Santa’s place for the night and deliver presents to the rest of the world. Scott doesn’t accept that he must become the new Santa Claus, but as this brings him closer to his son he struggles with finding a way to explain it to his ex wife, Charlie’s mom. This movie is a fantastic story of father and son bonding and Scott changing his sarcastic and cold attitude to fit a more jolly, “Santa Claus” persona.
  8. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation- Chevy Chase does it again with a fantastic addition to the “Vacation” series of movies. This classic Christmas movie is a great laugh for the holidays and can be enjoyed by anyone because of the lighthearted humor spread throughout the movie. Highly recommend this great Christmas movie.
  9. Elf- Everyone’s favorite story of Buddy the Elf is a Christmas classic for our generation. Elf is a story of Buddy going out of his comfort zone of the North Pole, where he’s lived his whole life and traveling to New York to find his dad, while spreading Christmas cheer to everyone he meets. His dad sadly is on the naughty list, and Buddy tirelessly works to not only get him off the naughty list but also earn his love and affection, something he barely has for his wife and other son, Buddy’s half brother. Buddy’s optimistic attitude throughout the movie, mixed with Will Ferrell’s hilarious characteristics makes Elf a must watch movie for Christmas.
  10. A Christmas Story- This classic movie is a little overrated in my opinion, but nevertheless a classic Christmas story. The story of a boy who wants a Red Ryder BB Gun, but his parents swear he’ll “shoot his eye out!” This classic movie is a must watch and can be enjoyed as a family movie during the Christmas season.
Gwen Morovitz, Assistant Editor

Hi there! My name is Gwen Morovitz and this is my second year on The Wigwam as an assistant editor. I’m super excited to be writing again this year,...