Movie Review: Crazy Rich Asians

Movie Review: Crazy Rich Asians

Cindy Ciotta, Managing Editor

Personally,I’m a big fan of feel-good movies, so when comes out I’m usually in the theatres within the next couple of days with freinds to check it out. If you’re the same way, I would highly recommend seeing Crazy Rich Asians. The movie came out August 15 and is still in theatres. It was based off of the 2013 novel written by Kevin Kwan. If you’re one of those people who prefer reading the book first, you can do that here.

Crazy Rich Asians centers around Rachel Wu, played by Constance Wu, a Chinese born woman who has lived in the United States since she was six months old. She attended Stanford and later worked at NYU as an economics professor. Despite her pretentious education that she worked hard for, Rachel is down to earth and doesn’t care much for money. She gladly accompanies her boyfriend, Nick Young, played by Henry Golding, to Singapore for a wedding in his family.

Upon their arrival, she finds out that Nick’s family is extremely wealthy and he is practically a celebrity in Singapore, admired by many women and considered one of the country’s most eligible bachelors. His extravagant life was well hidden from Rachel and came as a surprise when she entered Singapore the first time. Thrown immediately into Singapore spotlight, Rachel navigates through trying to impress Nick’s hard to please mother, his siblings, cousins, friends, and the media. She gets some hate from jealous socialites and Nick’s mother, who continues to be unapproving. Rachel moves past all of this with grace and the help of Goh Peik Lin, Rachel’s Singaporean college best friend.

Not gonna lie, there were both laughs and tears from me. I thought they did a wonderful job of casting. Sometimes movies that gear toward chick-flicks can easily turn into bad acting and an extremely cheesy or predictable movie, and this was nothing like that. It was funny, a little emotional at times, and overall an awesome movie. I would absolutely see it again and seriously hope it comes out on Netflix soon. If you haven’t seen it yet, either buy the book or watch the movie.