• Listen to NDN Radio at kndn.playtheradio.com

Christopher Robin Takes Us Back To Our Childhood

Back to Article
Back to Article

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Gwen Morovitz, Assistant Editor

From the time I was barely learning to walk, I can’t remember a time in my childhood that Winnie the Pooh wasn’t an influential and important part of my life. My whole childhood revolved around the Hundred Acre Woods, so naturally, the minute I heard Disney was making a live-action Winnie the Pooh movie, I was both excited and nervous.

Reboots aren’t always what the trailer makes it out to be. However, I was beyond impressed by Christopher Robin, and I’m dying to see it again with my family.

The story begins with Christopher’s last day with Pooh and friends before he’s shipped off to boarding school. He promises Pooh he’ll always think of him, and never forget his “silly old bear.” The sound of hearts breaking is evident throughout the audience as Pooh goes back to the door that Christopher left through everyday, waiting for him to return.

We watch as Christopher Robin struggles in boarding school and faces a loss that forces him to grow up too fast and face adult problems that no child should bear the burden of. Along the difficult path, Robin meets a beautiful woman, Evelyn, who later becomes his wife. Just as Evelyn becomes pregnant, Christopher is enlisted to go to war, and doesn’t return until his daughter is a few years older. Missing out on his own childhood, and then losing the joy of experiencing his own child’s childhood, worsens his struggles with finding happiness again, as he dives into his work at a luggage company.

Working under the entitled and unforgiving Giles Winslow Jr., Christopher is burdened with a heavy workload and struggles to find time for his family. After promising his wife and daughter Madeline a weekend at the cabin, Winslow tells Robin that he must find a way to create paperwork to cut production cost or fire 20% of their employees by Monday. Faced with this enormous burden, he’s forced to stay home from his family vacation, much to the anger of Evelyn and Madeline, who never see him anymore.

Meanwhile, back in the Hundred Acre Woods, Winnie the Pooh runs out of honey. He can’t seem to find his friends anywhere, and is determined that Christopher Robin is the only one who can find them. Pooh finally ventures past the door he’s visited everyday and finds Christopher sitting on a park bench stressed about work. After a not-so-happy reunion, Christopher runs Pooh back to his house before anyone can see him. The next morning, Pooh accidentally makes a mess and Christopher Robin has enough. They head to the train station to take Pooh back to the Hundred Acre woods so that Christopher can focus on work.

Without spoiling the rest of the movie, Christopher Robin learns how to remember the childhood innocence and happiness that used to fill his world. He prioritizes family over work and everything else, with the help of Winnie the Pooh and the rest of his childhood friends.

This movie doesn’t only reinstill the importance of family and friends, it adds a humorous flare and a likeable quality to even adult audiences. Eeyore was the most relatable and humorous character for sure, and Tigger always adds joy to a scene.

I would absolutely recommend this movie to anyone looking to revisit their childhood or wanting a lighthearted movie that will make you laugh, cry, and leave you wanting more.

Gwen Morovitz, Assistant Editor

Hi there! My name is Gwen Morovitz and this is my second year on The Wigwam as an assistant editor. I’m super excited to be writing again this year,...