Movie Review: Jumanji

Welcome to the Jungle!

Gwen Morovitz, Staff Writer

As a kid living in Missouri, I was no stranger to snow days. On one snow day in particular, my mom introduced me to Jumanji with Robin Williams. As a kid, I was terrified, yet intrigued, by the movie and how a game could suddenly come to life.

So naturally, even after many years since I was first introduced to the movie, I was incredibly excited to hear that a reboot was in the works. Sadly, after the passing of legend Robin Williams I knew it would take a skillful group of people to give any sort of justice to the original movie.

Over Christmas break, I had the opportunity to go see Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle twice. The first time I went with my family and the second with a few friends. Both times I laughed and couldn’t help but love it even more than the first movie.

Starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Jack Black, and Kevin Hart, I knew from the moment I walked in the theater I would enjoy a few laughs. But nothing could have prepared me for the intricate level of comedy the whole cast brought to their characters.

The movie starts with a father finding the Jumanji board game on the beach while running on evening. He brings it home to his son, but the teen rejects it saying that board games are lame.

Overnight, the board game transforms into a video game and awakens, as well as interests the boy into playing it.

Several years later, four high school students, reflecting the typical “Breakfast Club” algorithm, the jock, the outcast, the princess, and the brain, get detention for various reasons and find themselves being punished to spend their afternoon doing tedious work.

They find the Jumanji game and make the horrible decision to play, which leads them to be sucked into the video game and transformed into the characters they chose, with a comedic irony that adds to the fun of the movie.

After spending some time in the game, the four realize that the only way to leave the game is to return a jewel given to them to the jaguar statue and lift the curse that had been put on the game.

By working through their many differences and learning to work together, the group pushes through each level and makes their way through the game with multiple laughs and some troubling adventures. The cameos throughout the movie added to the excitement and further development of the plot as well, which kept the audience on the edge of its seat.

Overall, without spoiling the exciting plot twists, I can definitely assure anyone who is on the fence about seeing this movie that it will not disappoint. It is by far the best movie I saw in 2017 and I would not mind seeing it a third and even fourth time in 2018.