Movie Review: Fall in Love with Lady Bird

Abby Wormsbaker, Staff Writer

“I wish I could live through something.” – Lady Bird.

Ever so often a movie comes out and pulls you in within the first five minutes and leaves you breathless by the last five minutes. Lady Bird, starring Saoirse Ronan, is one of the very few.

I had heard a lot about this movie through previous interviews involving the director Greta Gerwig, (who happens to be one of my favorite actress, writers, and now director) who spoke fondly of how excited she was about it. I couldn’t wait to invest myself in it.

Gerwig takes personal experiences and creates the story of Lady Bird, a coming of age story of a high schooler who wishes for nothing more than to graduate and move far away from Sacramento, California, her current home. While Christine, aka Lady Bird, finishes up her last year of high school, she finds herself involved with a lot of new things: her school’s theatre, boyfriends, and new  friendships. Although those typical  teenage things are dealt with in Lady Bird, it’s not all about an angsty teenager who hates their life. Gerwig illustrates the rawness of being young and vulnerable and the flaws that come with relationships (how things don’t always work out). Everybody can relate to this one way or another because we’ve all been there.

Lady Bird not only tells a beautiful story but the movie itself is shown in a beautiful way. There were a few scenes that stood out to me cinematically: when Lady Bird and Danny were dancing together in that field- wow! What a scene. Another includes the scene when Lady Bird sees Kyle for the first time, playing the guitar for a gig at the coffee shop. The color scheme of that scene totally got me with the perfect colors that remind me of being at my own favorite dimly lit coffee shop. The third scene that stood out to me was near the end, at prom. Again the color schemes had me with the nostalgic shades of pink that perfectly matched Lady Bird’s dress.

The final scene of Lady Bird consisted of a voicemail message being left for Lady Bird’s mother. Christine, aka Lady Bird, has now arrived in New York and finds herself torn between the adrenaline rush of being in the city and feeling homesick. This final scene had me in tears because Lady Bird leaves an emotional message for her mother that really hit close to home. The message was surreal and relatable, especially to all teenagers who leave the town they grew up in for the first time. I won’t go into detail over what the message was, or why it made me cry like a baby but I will say this: do yourself a favor. Go see Lady Bird. The beautiful storyline and cinematography will capture you and stick with you forever.