Movie Review: Coming Through the Rye

Abby Wormsbaker, Staff Writer

Coming Through The Rye is a film revolving around the book The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger.

Jamie Schwartz (played by Alex Wolff) is a student at an all-boys boarding school and finds himself experiencing things like being bullied, similar to the main character of The Catcher in Rye, Holden Caulfield. Jamie’s character loves this book with all his heart, and often compares his life to to Holden. Jamie even writes an adapted screenplay for the book and wishes to get permission from the author to produce a play for his senior project.  

As the film rolls on, you find out how Jamie relates to Holden in various ways, and how he is badly teased by people he used to call his friends. Eventually Jamie grows tired of it and decides to run away from school, similar to the book. He then decides that he and friend, Deedee, should try to find the author of The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger, in hopes of getting permission to produce a screenplay and to express the love he has for the book. They travel miles and miles searching for Salinger but encounter many situations that hold them up, such as being told false directions by people who know that the author doesn’t want to be found. But that does not stop the determination that Jamie feels in finding him. Eventually Jamie and DeeDee find the author and Jamie is denied permission to produce his play.

Now, I don’t want to spoil anything further than that, but all in all, this film is absolutely beautiful. It’s got gorgeous cinematography, a great cast, and the story line is incredible and inspiring. My description doesn’t do the film justice. If you loved The Catcher in the Rye or if you love independent films in general, I strongly recommend this film.