Religion In Schools

Juliyanna McCracken, Staff Writer

Religion in schools seems like an endless battle between personal beliefs and state law…

According to the ACLU  and the Constitution, religion is allowed in private and public schools. However, ”this aspect of constitutional law is not as well known as it should be.”

The Constitution permits much private religious activity in and about the public schools. Some say that the Supreme Court has declared public schools “religion-free zones” or that the law is so murky that school officials cannot know what is legally permissible. The former claim is simply wrong. As to the latter, while there are some difficult issues, much has been settled. Public school officials, due to their busy schedules, may not be as fully aware of this body of law as they shoud be. As a result, in some school districts some of these rights are not being observed.  

According to au.org public schools are allowed to teach but not preach… Public schools may instruct students about religion in an even-handed, objective manner, such as discussing the impact of religion on history, art, music and literature, or teaching a course on comparative religion. But they may not teach religiously based curriculum. This evidence refers to something called ”Separation of Church and State.”

Regarding this matter we have to agree to disagree to prevent conflict to arise because of personal beliefs.