Album Review: Ben Howard’s ‘Every Kingdom’

Album Review: Ben Howard's 'Every Kingdom'

Creative Commons

Audrey Cook, Managing Editor/Student Life Editor

Maybe I’m a little late in realizing the genius of this album, but if you’re into quality music, please give it a listen because it’s given me so much throughout the past few months of stress and nonstop days. This album was released in 2011, but it’s golden, and I don’t think I’ll ever stop listening to it. Here are some of my favorite songs from the album.

“Old Pine”- The first song of the album and one of my favorites. It begins with an acoustic intro and eases you into the smooth, calming rhythm of the song. The instrumentals in this song are so lovely, and the words always give me this warm nostalgia that Ben Howard tends to hit right on the target.

“Under the Same Sun”- This song is slightly more melancholy than “Old Pine”, but I love it all the same. Sometimes we wonder if people will really be there and keep the promises they make, and Ben Howard captures that concept so beautifully in this song.

“The Fear”- I love the rhythm and lyrics in this song. “I’ve been worryin that my time is a little unclear. I’ve been worryin that I’m losin the ones I hold dear. I’ve been worryin that we all live our lives in the confines of fear.” This song calls out our anxious tendencies and brings to light how much fear can distort our vision. It’s honest and true to life.

“Everything”- A good studying song and creative lyrics. He tells a story, and I get caught up in every minute. It’s a song about releasing the past and approaching the future. It’s a reminder of the unpredictable pace of life.

Every song in this album is different. Every single one has meaning, and I wish I could put them all on this list because each one has given me something different in the moments when I needed them most. Ben Howard is truly a creative genius, and I have him to thank for the gift that is this album.