Audrey is Indeed, The Great Gatsby

Another Student Direct is coming your way to KHS.

Kate Carlin, A/V Editor

Here at Keller High School, our theatre department is responsible for putting up three shows a year for the public eye and the UIL one act state competition. However, there is room in between these shows (or concurrently running with shows, oh, come see The Diviners, it’s happening next month!) to allow the seniors of Keller’s Indian Theatre to direct a one act show of their choice for the black box, the stage, or for the annual Class Play Festival.

The senior direct that is coming to Keller this winter is The Great Gatsby, directed by Audrey Cook and starring Stockton McGinn, Patrick Gee, Hannah Huber, and Ryan Lee.

The Great Gatsby is an adapted show from the novel wrote by F. Scott Fitzgerald. It is about a love triangle with longing hope and destiny, all in the small little palace called Long Island. Long Island is flooded with lavish parties Jay Gatsby throws and brings life of the roaring twenties and ragtime age to American history and culture. The Great Gatsby evolves around the lives of Jay Gatsby, Daisy Buchanan, Tom Buchanan, Nick Carraway and Myrtle Wilson and their former ties to each other.

Now, enough about the show and let’s talk about the director. Audrey Cook is a talented young lady who has the privilege of directing this show this coming winter. Audrey has been involved with theatre off and on for the past four years, taking roles in some of Keller’s shows such as Spamalot and The Wizard of Oz. “I am so excited and over the moon about this show”, Cook said, as it has been one of her dreams to direct such a show.

Some of Audrey’s plans for The Great Gatsby includes the lighting, using interesting works of color theory and she wants to captivate her audience into the whole show, as if they are sitting in a room with Gatsby and Daisy themselves.

The show going to have one showing on Saturday, January 14th, at 7:00 pm, and the best thing about it? It’s free.