Finding Your Peace

Megan Mousaw, Online Editor

Stress can get the best of us. From high school to the everyday highs and lows of life, we are faced with challenges that can get us closer and closer to our breaking point. And sadly, there is no easy way of ignoring the stress and the overwhelming urges to give up. Sometimes, we just need to take a break and unplug from everything.

These are some of the things that can help you unplug from your stress. Hopefully, some of these tips will help you out in the hustle and bustle of school work and life. Enjoy.

1. Get unplugged

This may be hard for some people, but one of the best ways to relieve stress is to get away from all technology. Taking a step away from your phone or computer is a great way to clear your mind and truly relax yourself. Being on your phone or any other technology stimulates your mind, which can bring stressful thoughts to your mind. Challenge yourself to unplug for about an hour a day to focus on getting things done or just to relax your mind.

2. It’s alright to cry

Yes, crying can actually help. Having a good cry every once and awhile isn’t a bad thing. With the stress of everyday life getting to you, it’s alright to reach your breaking point every now and then. I know from experience that crying over something is alright and there is nothing to be ashamed of for doing so.

3. Turn up the music

This may not be for everyone, but I have songs that I can listen to that will put me in the best mood and mindset. Whether I’m in my car or at home, I blast some of my favorite songs and bands that I know will put me in a good mood to get through the rest of the day. Spotify has some great playlists to pump you up, or if you have a favorite band or artist, listen to them to brighten your day.

4. Get some sleep

About every high schooler I know doesn’t get the proper amount of sleep. We need about 8-10 hours of sleep, and some of us are only getting 4-6 and as a result, constantly feel drained and exhausted. Take a night where you don’t have too much homework and make sure you go to bed early and get the proper rest and refueling you need. This will put you in a better mood and you have more energy the next day to get stuff done. And don’t stop your homework just to go lay in bed and play on your phone and watch Netflix. Actually try to get some sleep, you’ll regret staying up later the next morning.