Making a Case for Breaking Bad

Ed Sobrino, Sports Editor

The end of an era is upon us. Vince Gilligan and company have taken us on an amazing journey these last six years. September 29 will be a somber day for Breaking Bad fans, as we will all be glued to our televisions watching the end unfold for the characters we have grown to love and hate over the last five seasons.

As the series draws to an end, fans of the show speculate the end, and reflect on this masterpiece of a show. I on the other hand, am clamoring every Monday to find someone to talk to about the previous night’s episode, only finding a handful of faithful fans that I can rely on every week. Although the show is extremely popular and critically acclaimed, the number of Breaking Bad fans at Keller High School is criminally low.

There are no excuses; the show is on Netflix, for crying out loud! And if you don’t have Netflix (doubt it) ask a friend for their account. And if you don’t have friends (really doubt it) well I’m very sorry and you’re off the hook. Look- this show has arguably the greatest character arc of all time, relentlessly entertaining drama, and even the occasional joke here and there. All I’m saying is that you owe it to yourself to experience this story, to follow Walter White on his journey from becoming an above average chemistry teacher and family man to a maniacal, heartless villain, whom you still can’t help but love in the end.

Breaking Bad is the culmination of everything that is good about television. It stacks up to the likes of The Sopranos and The Wire, but maybe even surpasses them. The greatness of this show is just inexplicable and intangible, so all I ask is that you give it a try. Watch the pilot, watch a trailer on YouTube, or just ask a friend about it. Just make yourself aware of what you are missing, because it is one heck of a ride.