Need A Break? Meditate!

Need A Break? Meditate!

Katy Edghill, Student Life and Sports Editor

The act of meditating always, and still sometimes does, seem entirely impossible to me. I thought of it as “oh hey! Just completely clear your mind for a half hour and think of absolutely nothing but the rhythm of your breathing.” As a teenager who disagrees with basically everything anyone else attempts to tell me, my response would have mirrored a great percentage of our school’s population. But, with the help of a psychology class and a few “guided meditation” albums, I am happy to admit that I was wrong in my initial judgments.
Kelly Howell’s “Retrieve Your Destiny”
I came across this gem during my frantic search for good meditation music without having to ask the bank for a loan. The entire CD runs for about a full hour and includes the opportunity for its user to choose either a guided or unguided track for a cheap $10 on iTunes, or for around $15 for the CD. According to Kelly Howell, meditation guides you in a search for your inner goals in life, mine being to one day achieve a full eight hours of sleep. I have found with some meditations that I will actually use the time to nod off. Yet Howell’s tracks keep me awake, and when I finally do come to I feel more rejuvenated than if I had caught up on all the hours of sleep I had lost the night before.
Crimson Lane Experiences: A Guided Meditation for Stress Relief and Relaxation
It was in Mrs. Abbruzzese’s AP Psychology class that I first experienced the effects of meditation and this is the CD that got me addicted to its once-a-day-routine. For a little under $10 on iTunes, this album takes you on a trip to the moon and back in a transparent bubble for 25 minutes. Sure it takes a couple of minutes to fight back some giggles at the seemingly ridiculousness of the “journey,” but once you can get yourself to calm down, the humor wears off. Somehow in this meditation, you learn that a secluded beach, swimming dolphins and being thrown into space can cause the most relaxing feeling most people will possibly ever experience. This meditation is my ultimate go-to track simply because from the very first time I meditated to this, in a noisy school no less, I opened my eyes at the end feeling what I now call a “healthy high,” with all my stresses of the oncoming day simply melting away.
Take a Break! – Guided Meditation for Stress Relief
This iTunes app comes in handy when you need a quick getaway from the stresses of a heavy loaded day. Not only is the app free but allows you to choose between two different quick meditation time lengths: either 7 or 13 minutes. Enjoy the relaxation with the help of a peaceful guide, just music or calming nature sounds. This app is a lifesaver for controlling the times when you are stressed about a big test, allowing you to escape quickly in the morning before school or take a break from studying to calm your nerves.
While meditation can be incredibly difficult to conquer, with the right dedication and the perfect guided helpers, it is most definitely not impossible.All of these tracks and/or apps can be found on iTunes.