What are Libertarians?

Thomas Winzeler, Assistant Editor

America.

It’s a country founded on the fact that the government shouldn’t be tyrannical, that the government shouldn’t control our lives or tell us what we can or can’t do and where freedom is valued and the people rule.

We tell the government what to do, the government doesn’t tell us what to do!

So, why, in a country that was founded on the belief that the government should not be telling us what to do, do we have so many regulations? So many laws telling us what we can and can’t do? So many programs that were made to help people but instead have created a cycle of poverty?! And the problem keeps getting bigger! Both mainstream political parties think that the government can fix it with a new law or regulation.

This is where the Libertarian Party and Libertarianism steps in.

To understand the Libertarian Party, you must first look at Libertarianism. According to Wikipedia,  “Libertarianism (from Latin: Libertas, meaning “freedom”) is a collection of political philosophies and movements that uphold liberty as a core principle. Libertarians seek to maximize political freedom and autonomy, emphasizing freedom of choice, voluntary association, and individual judgment. Libertarians share a skepticism of authority and state power, but they diverge on the scope of their opposition to existing political and economic systems. Various schools of libertarian thought offer a range of views regarding the legitimate functions of state and private power, often calling for the restriction or dissolution of coercive social institutions.”

Libertarians believe in a very small government. It believes in less government regulation and more power to the people. It believes in a small government, not a bigger one.

“So the Libertarian Party is like the Republican Party and the Democratic Party, in that they have set views and set demographics?” you may ask.

No. Not at all.

See, what makes the Libertarian party so unique is that much like the political party it’s based on, it’s full of different people with different opinions. You have your Conservative, right-leaning, Libertarians who have Republican ideals. They’re the people who were Republicans but found that they agreed more with the Libertarian party. Same with more left-leaning, liberal Libertarians. In that, they were Democrats but found they agree with the Libertarian party more. Just one thing binds them together and it’s the belief in and the promotion of civil liberties, non-interventionism, laissez-faire capitalism and the abolition of the welfare state.

Libertarians not only believe that the government shouldn’t interfere in the free market (we oppose all forms of government subsidies and bailouts to business, labor, or any other special interest), but we also believe in personal freedoms should be upheld, such as the government staying out of the bedroom, we support gay marriage and oppose the government making just one marriage be legal.

We believe that people should have the right to own a gun and the 2nd amendment should be upheld in all cases.

We believe in the end of the criminalization of certain illegal drugs.

So basically, as a Libertarian, I believe that if I want to go to a gun range, come out as gay, take my transgender boyfriend with me, smoke some of that illegal stuff and shoot guns, I should have the option to. I’m not saying I would do that, but I want to have that option.

For all the positives of being a Libertarian (we’re basically Republicans in wanting low taxes, little government regulation, wanting to keep the second amendment, keeping the government out of the people’s daily lives, etc. And we’re also Democrats in the social views and legal issues, minus the gun control thing. Libertarians just took the parts of both parties that don’t want the government involved in and combined them into one party), there’s a downside of it too.

A Libertarian gets accused by both parties of voting with the other party. Democrats accuse libertarians of voting with Republicans. Libertarians only vote with Republicans in states that are red because the Libertarian party has no chance of winning that state.

Republicans accuse Libertarians of voting with Democrats. Which only happens, like in Republican-controlled states, in Democrat controlled states. As a Libertarian, if you’re not in a battleground state, if you vote for a Libertarian in Texas your vote is wasted. You have no choice but to vote for Republicans or Democrats in many states because the Libertarian party has no chance of winning.

Being a member of a third party is tough because your voice isn’t heard in Congress, and even if it is, it’s represented by someone who you only agree with on a couple issues. For all the right things that the Libertarian Party stands for, it will never have a chance of winning because it doesn’t get the funding like the Democrats and Republicans do. The Libertarian Party candidate will never be asked to participate in a Presidential Debate on TV. The only way for a third party, like the Libertarian Party, is to get more attention and more people to hear about it is to get more votes, which will probably never happen.

As of right now, our country is marching towards a two-party system and the only way to stop this is to consider voting for one of the third parties. Doing so will be one step towards getting off this path towards a two-party-system. It’s a small step but every vote for a third party, like the Libertarian Party, will make that small step a little bit bigger.

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the various authors and forum participants on this web site do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of The Wigwam or official policies of The Wigwam.

Thomas Winzeler, Assistant Editor

Hello, peeps! I’m Thomas Winzeler! I’m a senior, and you should worship me. If you don’t want to worship me, then you should just kiss my feet or...