Why You Need Your Fine Arts Credit

Why You Need Your Fine Arts Credit

Abby Tow, Staff Writer

You’ve likely heard it before: being involved in a fine arts program makes you an all-around better student. And there is definitely merit to this statement.

The frustration some may feel as they sign up for their required fine art course can perhaps be eased when one considers the benefits of what the course can offer.

According to The National Association for Music Education, being involved in a fine art equips students with skills that improve their academic abilities. Music education, whether it be through choir, orchestra, or band, teaches students to pay close attention small details, helps them stay engaged in school, and can even improve their SAT test scores.

The work ethic required in, say, learning to play an instrument translates to all aspects of a musician’s life. Responsibilities like homework, chores, and studying benefit from the tedious work fine arts require, but even more so, long term goals that seem like “too much work” at first glance won’t be so much of a problem to a fine art student as they have already witnessed the process of working and achieving an objective.

Beyond academia, a fine art education applies to the changing world of jobs. More and more, employers are actively seeking out candidates with creative abilities and ones who can collaborate effectively in team settings. A student from a theater ensemble or an orchestra understands the dynamic of teamwork, how every person plays his or her role, and how to blend several viewpoints into one cohesive product. Involvement with fine art organizations displays to resume-readers that a student has an extremely strong work ethic and a dedication to the task at hand.

When it comes to fine arts, you reap what you sow. The students who pour their efforts into an art learn so many valuable lessons that are unique to the study, and the effects are noticeable.

Even if you are in high school, it still is not too late to become involved in fine arts. Colleges offer even more opportunities in the arts, and as a trombone player who has seen the benefits of music in her own life, I can promise that if the opportunity presents itself to you, get involved with a fine art. It makes you more successful, but most importantly, it makes life more beautiful.

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the various authors and forum participants on this web site do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of The Wigwam or official policies of The Wigwam.