Word Count.

Word+Count.

Evan Starr, Staff Writer

Why is word count on essays a thing?

When an English teacher explains an essay, what is always the last guideline we students have to achieve? A word limit.

“This essay must be 1000 words.”

This is teaching students how to write the wrong way. Instead of trying to write a good quality essay that students are proud of, the only thing they think about is “How many words am I at?”

Ask yourself, what is the first thing you look at when finished writing an essay for English. Yeah, how many words it is — not if the essay is cohesive and flows correctly. All you think about is the word count and if it meets the teachers guidelines. I know I used to.

The problem is that teachers are teaching kids how to write the wrong way. If you only have 500 words on a 700 word essay over “why friendship is a good thing,” so be it. Kids are spending hours and hours of time just to stretch out their essay a couple hundred more words. Changing phrases like “strong as an ox” to “strong as an ox on steroids” and “cool as a cucumber” to “cool as a cucumber in a refrigerator.” Kids start to add sentences that feel tacked on and over explain things to the point where it is way over the top, and in turn creates a bad essay.

Kids need to worry more on how well their essay is written and not slap 1000 words on a piece of paper and call it a day.

Teachers need to either: (A) get rid of word limits all together; or (B) push across that the word count is just a guideline what a quality essay should be around and that it is okay if you are a few words short.

I no longer care if I am 100 words short; I feel that if I write the essay good enough the word count won’t matter. Because in writing, it is quality over quantity.

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the various authors and forum participants on this web site do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of The Wigwam or official policies of The Wigwam.