Pens: The Superior Writing Utensil

Pens: The Superior Writing Utensil

Ashlyn Dodson, Staff Writer

After being a public school student for nearly eleven years and making the daunting but considerably important transition from pencil to pen in third grade, I can confidently say that pens are superior to pencils in virtually every way.

At first glance, any sort of dialogue on this matter may seem petty or even downright unnecessary. How do the writing utensils we use have any real impact on our lives? While that point is fair, the fact of the matter is not that using pens will drastically change your life, it’s what they represent, and what pencils do not.

The use of pens as a writing utensil is not a new concept, with reed pens being introduced by the Ancient Egyptians as early as 3000 B.C. The pencil was invented much later in in England in 1564. Pens have been used to document some of the most impactful moments in history: The Magna Carta, the Mayflower Compact, the Declaration of Independence.

Pencils allow the writer to simply erase any mistakes, but I believe that defeats the purpose of writing at all. Sure, your paper may look neater without a few words scribbled out in black ink, but making mistakes is part of the process. Pens make the writer think more thoroughly about what they write next, because once you’ve written something you can’t take it back.

While pencils may be occasionally helpful, they undermine the value of mistakes and thinking before you write. That is why I believe that pens are undoubtedly the superior writing utensil.

Oh, and don’t get me started on erasable pens.

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the various authors and forum participants on this web site do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of The Wigwam or official policies of The Wigwam.