Pastime Politics

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Audrey Cook, Managing Editor

After voting in my first election this year and taking government, politics has been at the forefront of my mind in recent months. I’ve become more aware of what my peers believe to be true about politics, what my teachers wish could be different, and what concerns my parents the most about the nation. 

As a hopeful political science student, I’m passionate about government and our generation’s involvement. Instead of asking questions and becoming involved, our generation has perfected the art of circulating memes, making fun of candidates and slashing those who don’t believe what we do. And it’s not all our fault. Presidential debates this year were more about slash and trash than true policy. Both candidates were guilty of insulting each other instead of using reason and evidence to win their audiences. Political campaigning has lost so much of the public’s respect, especially after this election. And we have no one to blame but ourselves.

People so often argue that their representatives aren’t treated well by members of the other party, but how can they argue that when they themselves don’t treat members of the other party with respect? Both parties are guilty of it. They don’t respect each because they don’t think they need to. With the ever-increasing polarization of politics, so many people don’t believe compromise is necessary in running the country. They just want laws passed, and they don’t care whose feelings get hurt along the way. Whatever pushes them to the forefront of the race against the other. 

Politics is becoming just another source of entertainment for today’s youth, and they are beginning to care less and less because they don’t believe they’ll make a difference. Well, they’re wrong. Forget voting. There are so many other ways young people can be involved in politics and choose not to. We’ve got so much wasted potential. So much time that we waste when we could be educating ourselves.

We are an apathetic generation even though we might seem spirited on the outside. Our actions don’t align with our words. The last generation had Vietnam. The generation before that had World War II. They were a part of something. They fought for something. They believed in something. What do we believe in? Society? Individualism? Identity? Maybe, but it’s not enough to unite us. Unity is the only solution to our problems, but the skeptics out there would tell you it’s not possible. Because we’re stubborn. And we don’t listen. Our politics have become a source of entertainment instead of a real discussion. We laugh at the candidates, we cheer when they fall and we scream our heads off when they mess up. Something’s gotta give. And it’s not going to be the political system.