I Hate Assigned Reading

Let us connect with our books, not loathe them.

Here is some books burning, like Fahrenheit 451 type stuff.

Creative Commons

Kate Carlin, A/V Editor

At Keller High, we are required to read certain books every year from freshman to senior. Books like To Kill a Mockingbird, Anthem, Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, and The Great Gatsby all end up in the hands of students at one time or another, but do we really want to read these books?

Seriously, think of yourself whenever I ask you this. Do you really want to read that book? Is this book really going to stick with you throughout your whole entire life? Are you really going to read every single world of this book? Are you going to enjoy this book?

If you said yes to any of those questions, you really need a life.

Reading books you are required to read just sucks the fun out of reading. Having to read a book when you are pummeled with schoolwork, eight hours of school, extra-curricular activities, and on top of all of that, having a life, is literally the spawn of Satan. Also, add on to that you have to read a book you are not even going to enjoy and you literally have to memorize what the main characters favorite small dishes are and what their past hopes and dreams are to pass the test, but god forbid having a test on the plot and not the small things in the book that nobody remembers (unless you have photographic memory).

I know there are perks to reading books in school, like reading the same book that are landmarks in American literature and learning about what it was back then and why we are here and why this is significant for us, but is reading a book really allowing us to appreciate what these writers have done for popular culture? To me, it really makes me angry to read with little to no discussion on the topic and people expect students to magically know all of the answers.

That is what the dilemma is, having no discussion of the text, maybe having a packet with a few questions to keep you on task with reading is a plus, but having little to no discussion of the novel really sets us up for failure. If teachers took the liberty to discuss the text and to help us fully understanding the text we are reading will help students enjoy reading more than ever before, finding all of the neat facts and snippets of a writer and learning about the text as if it is an interesting point in history would allows us to enjoy what we are reading in class more.

This theory proves well with Shakespeare. We are all bored of Hamlet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and Julius Caesar bores us to death. If we learned about the man Shakespeare was and how his writings are actually hysterical, our classes would have a lot more fun reading Shakespeare, wouldn’t we?

All I am asking is to discuss the text with us, give us information that will interest us about the text, explain and learn the text with us. Do not judge us for a skimming of the book you assigned a week ago.