I Dare You

Why Do You Not Know?

Creative Commons

Taken at the Slutwalk meeting at Trafalgar Square in London on Saturday 11 June 2011.

Sandra Decaigny, Staff Writer

Everyday thousands of children line up to use the restroom before class. Some even venture to the restrooms during class time. This action we high schoolers so commonly endeavor into never occurred to be a life altering one.

A 14-year-old freshman girl from Maryland was asked by two freshmen, Jose Montano and Henry Sanchez Milian, if she would perform sexual activities. She promptly refused. The two then dragged her into the bathroom where she grabbed onto the sink to resist. They pushed her into a stall, gang raped her, and sodomized her.

The tragedy of this situation cannot be overlooked. The bigger issue surrounding this case is the lack of publicity. Almost all teens have heard of the Stanford case, in which a jock was accused of raping a girl at a party. This case was widely broadcast, as it should be. Race, citizenship states, and religion should not affect news channels from reporting events.

This American girl was raped by two illegal immigrants. The Maryland girl attended a sanctuary school, which means they allows illegal immigrants to attend. Whether these policies are morally correct or not is beside the point. News outlets are not reporting this case due to the fact that they do not want to create stigmas concerning illegal immigrants.

I sit here penning this article with the words Maryland Rape Case typed into the search bar of Google; the first two hits are from Fox News. The front page of Fox News does not picture this story, but after typing Maryland rape case into the search engine box, there are ten or more articles depicting the event.

Now moving to another source, CNN. The CNN homepage pictures the finale of Reese Witherspoon’s “Big Little Liars,” but the rape case is not depicted. Searching Maryland Rape Case causes articles about the Texas Rangers to appear.

When news reporters receive stories that do not fit their political agenda, they more than likely will discard the story all together, or de-legitimize it. For the media to believe themselves smarter than us, how are we Americans suppose to create an informed decision. I dare the reader to take this information, use it, type into your favorite news source Maryland Rape Case, and see if they report the case. See if they treat the rapist as the victim. See if they believe we Americans are too dumb, too prejudiced to handle such information. Find out why you do not know this story. I dare you.