School Stress

Emily Semlow, Staff Writer

School, the place where teens generate the most stress. Everyone is competing to be at the top of the rankings, ensuring that they can get into good colleges. School, along with the majority of parents, give us so many expectations to follow, but they don’t realize that all of these “simple” tasks add up. The small things are always what gets you in the end.

Realizing stresses that students have, some schools have taken a stand in finding solutions to cure this anxiety apparent in high school students. Some schools have offered solutions to create an environment where students feel as if they can properly do their best. One school in the U.S. offers meditation instead of detention, allowing minors to calm themselves and relieve their minds of any stress so they can think clearly in any future situations. This school also offers yoga at any point of the day, adding a relaxing element to school that most schools don’t have.

Another school, in England is open to allowing students freedom of expression, has an entirely different approach to help with the anxiety generated by the students. This school has an anxiety dog. Some research concludes that dogs are one way to relieve stress, and this school thought it was the best way to go, along with the fact that it’s very enjoyable to most students.

Some older people call our generation “whiny” or say that we don’t have “thick enough skin” with all the mental issues that are popping up in this generation. Instead of adding pressures of college and making sure that everyone is successful according to social standards, teachers and school districts should be finding ways to ease this competition that has been created by the students and society. Expectations are becoming impossible for everyone to achieve; everyone has their different strengths and schools should be exploiting them rather than creating pathways, determining your life in middle school.

The stress of expectations, from school and parents, are starting to make the future of our country crack under pressure. We need to let up on these expectations and look at other ways to ensure that students can be successful once they leave high school.