Students Take a Stand Against the Pledge

Natalie Dearman, Staff Writer

Over the course of the past few years, individuals refusing to stand for the pledge of allegiance and the national anthem has created questions and spiked controversy. Even public figures have also chosen to take a stand, such as the quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, Colin Kaepernick.

The controversy and anger against his peaceful protest (not standing up) for the national anthem has gotten so out of hand that he is even receiving a massive amount of death threats. Kaepernick states that if one of our fellow Americans kills him for enforcing his constitution-given rights as an American, that he will have “proved his point.” 

This peaceful protest has also started to take place among native American students. Given their mistreatment throughout U.S. history, I don’t blame them. Many people’s reaction to the refusal to stand is “go back to your own country,” but then again, that’s when we forget what “native American” means.

The irony in all of this, is that the America-crazy people that always point it out, are typically the ones fighting to own firearms because it is their right as an American. So aren’t we all asking for the same thing?

Many schools in Florida, having been strictly enforcing that every student is required to say the pledge of allegiance, and even making them do it. This is something called “forced nationalism”, which was used by the Nazis in WWII.

Although American history is very whitewashed and censored, lets try not to take away the thing our very country was founded on – freedom.