Open Campus Lunch

Jared Canfield, Staff Writer

Coming to this school at the start of my junior year was a huge transition for me. Keller had a whole list of things I had never seen, heard of, done, or eaten before. However, as a new student, I was really anxious on my first day of school here. The one thing I was dreading the most was lunch, because we all had to sit in the cafeteria, and that meant I had no other choice but to find a table to sit at. Would I sit at a table all by myself? Would there be any tables left for me to sit at? Will I have to sit next to a group of people I don’t know? Will anyone invite me to sit with them? I honestly had no idea what was going to happen next.

And that’s when I started wondering, why doesn’t Keller have an open-campus lunch? It would take the pressure off of new students for finding a place to sit and we could have more choices for what we want to eat, for the students who don’t prefer the cafeteria food.

Students would also be able to have a break from being confined inside the building, and be able to choose where they want to go for once during the school day. On top of that, students also learn responsibility. They know that if they leave for lunch, they’ll have the choice of either coming back and going to class, or skipping class and facing the consequences.

However, just because students are allowed to eat wherever they want on or off campus, does not mean there won’t be any use for the cafeteria. Students should still be allowed to eat in the cafeteria, and since there will be some students going off campus for lunch, there will be more room in the cafeteria as well.

But with every idea, there must be rules in order for it work. My old school was able to do it. Every student was allowed to eat on designated parts of the school, rather it be a picnic bench near the soccer field, a teacher’s classroom, or a bench inside of the hallway. There were also trashcans everywhere which made clean up a lot easier. However, only juniors and seniors were allowed to leave to go eat lunch off campus. And we also had a 50 minute lunch break, so it wasn’t all that difficult to come back in time before the bell rings.

On the contrary, my old school also had around 1,000 students, whereas Keller has almost 3,000, so open-campus lunch may or may not be entirely possible. But, KISD has found a way to incorporate a block schedule into our school day, as well as renovate our school at the same time, so who knows?