Donald Trumps

REUTERS

U.S. Republican presidential candidate, real estate mogul and TV personality Donald Trump makes a point as he formally announces his campaign for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination during an event at Trump Tower in New York June 16, 2015. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid – RTX1GRB9

Emma Bauer, Staff Writer

For quite a while now, Donald Trump has absolutely dominated headlines of various nature, whether it be in news, radio, or your Sunday paper. He’s extremely popular in the polls, everything he says is made a massive deal within the media, and the outpouring of attention isn’t stopping anytime soon.

There is no question that Mr. Trump is indeed a successful businessman. He has clothing lines and at one point, he had his own TV show; something more to add to his pile of ever-increasing accomplishments. However, not everything he does is seated upon laurels and showered with glitter and rainbows. In fact, a lot of it isn’t.

Trump has said some extremely controversial things, as one would expect from a multi-billionaire with an ego the size of Jupiter.

A large handful of possible presidential candidates have had experience with politics, whether that be former Senator, governor, mayor, and more titles that adorn those who have dropped out or are still running. This does not mean that Trump does not have adequate qualification to run, but in the line of business he’s in, he has a slightly different approach on handling things.

It is very obvious he’s opinionated about everything he discusses. He is like a pistol – he fires off comments during debates without a second of thought. Is this someone we want as president? Do we not, especially in times like these, need someone open to considering other ideas, someone who can take no for an answer and accept the fact that he is sometimes wrong? Someone who thinks things through, someone who deliberates over what he is saying and whether or not it had or will have the desired – hopefully positive – effect?

It is said that Trump’s disposition has intrigued younger voters who were not previously active within their community, or in general. But is this for the right reason? His style seems simple, and this is coming from a sophomore who is not involved or dedicated to politics and does not understand a lot of it for one reason or another. He hurls insults at his opponents until they bow down, and keeps speaking until the other gives up. That aside, he is very fond of insults and putting other people down, which seems like the name of the game. But is he going about it the right way?

He wants to “make America great again,” but how is he completing this by doing the things he does? Let’s face it, a lot of you probably watch him. Or hear about something he has done that day on the evening news. Maybe you even like him. Everyone loves to watch a good argument. However, before you support him, listen to what he is actually saying and think about the effect it has.