You Get What You Give

Abby Wormsbaker, Staff Writer

Pretty much everywhere you go, you see some type of promotion to “Be Nice” or “Treat others the way you want to be treated.” But do people actually take action in that?

Every day I try and observe the way people act towards others. I do not always see it much but there are a lot of times where I see people being awful towards people that they a) do not even know or b) do it just for the sake of a good laugh. All I can wonder is, “Why? What is so great about putting others down for no reason?”

Whenever I see these kinds of things happening, I always look at the person being bullied; and their facial expression never fails to break my heart. A lot of the times when someone is happy, they tend to express themselves by smiling… that is until a person makes rude comments. From there, the smile from the victim is immediately taken away from their faces. Usually, depending on the case, I will say something. I always make sure that I do. I am one of those people who will not tolerate bullying; I will not let people get away with it, especially if no one else does anything.

If you are mean to others, It is not going to matter if you were smart, athletic, the homecoming/prom king/queen, an art genius, or a great student in the world of science. No one is going to remember that. Instead, they are going to remember you being mean. You get what you give. Treat people with respect and kindness because you have no idea what they could be going through. As a result, it will make you a better person, more approachable and it will make others feel better about themselves. Spread love. Be nice. It is that simple.