Keller Bond

Keller Bond

Jacob Tillman, Staff Writer

On Nov. 4, 2014 the $169.5 million Keller Bond was passed by a winning vote of 57%. With the winning percentage being so low it provokes the question of what made so many citizens vote against it. The answer is a lot of things.

The Keller Bond is not as great as everyone assumes it is. There are definitely some benefits but it comes at a cost, a pretty hefty one.

$169.5 million is an enormous amount of money, and with Keller’s debt already being $1.08 billion it seems insane to add onto it.

The catch is that Keller is not going to raise taxes (because they’re already at their legal max of 50 cents per hundred dollars of property valuation), they are going to extend the time citizens are paying it. This means that people who live in Keller until 2024 will have to pay the maxed out taxes. Previously the current debt that was previously being paid was supposed to end on 2016.

Another reason why so many opposed it was because not a lot of the money actually went to Keller High School. Out of the $169.5 million dollars only $23.55 million goes to Keller high for addition and renovation purposes. That’s only about one seventh of the money.

Everyone who attends Keller High knows that this school is crowded. Between the packed hallway intersections and the cramped staircases there isn’t any room for the students Keller currently has, much less the 500 they plan to add.

Though they are making some additions, those attachments only include 12 classrooms. Nowhere near the amount Keller needs.

Another problem is that those students come from the top right corner Central High’s old boundaries. So Central, who already has more space and less students, loses some making Keller more cramped.

Not only that, but it makes Central’s boundary lines lopsided. So people who live a lot farther away from Central will still go there while those who live a lot closer to Central will now go to Keller.

It is very clear that the boundaries are not proportional. Keller High already had the biggest area to cover and the most amounts of students, and now they have even more.

And the problems do not stop there.

The Bond plans to take all of the students in SKI and shove them into ISMS for the making of the CTE center, with only adding one wing of classrooms to ISMS. Making ISMS almost as crammed as Keller High.

Not only that but 5th graders who are still very young will now be riding the bus and going to school with 8th graders, who are in the middle of puberty and have hormones flying everywhere. Not to mention the amount of bullying that will occur due to the age difference.

Any responsible parent would know that is not a good idea to expose innocent 5th graders will to the terrors of middle school.

Overall a lot of good comes out of the bond, but it comes with a fair amount bad.

People who opposed the bond were not against the benefits; they were against the disadvantages of it. They felt that things could have been accomplished in a better way that does not cost so much money.

But the bond was passed and now we have to live with it, just know it’s not as good as everyone thinks it is.