Age of Edmodo

Adam Molson, Staff Writer

Edmodo. Every student in Keller has heard the name. After years of pen-to-paper assignments, someone, somewhere decided to throw a wrench into the mix, making it possible to upload and complete assignments entirely on one central hub: Edmodo.

As great of an idea this may be, the topic of its usefulness has been left up for debate, the primary complaint with it being that it is used for classes that do not necessarily need it. Math classes, english classes, history classes, et cetera et cetera; any and every class in the school seems to require a corresponding Edmodo page.

Now, just to clarify, every teacher having a page dedicated to their class is not that bad of an idea. Uploading the assignments from each day for people who need a refresher or posting announcements to alert students of a surprise test is not at all a bad idea. The issue here is not the site, but, as well made as it is, not all teachers are technologically adept (let’s call them “old school” to avoid stereotyping), and they do not need to be forced to learn for the sake of completing online work. For years teachers have been instructing students without the mandated need for a website.

Ultimately, the decision to use the site should be left to the teacher themselves, letting them teach the students how they want to teach them. If they feel like Edmodo would benefit their students and help assist them in understanding the subject, then by all means, they should use it. But in the case of these “old school” teachers, they should be left alone to teach how they want. If they don’t understand how Edmodo could benefit their students, then it should be their own decision to use it or not.