Student Leadership at KHS

Abby Tow, Staff Writer

Keller High School has a long tradition of exceptional student leaders. From the marching band to theatre to Student Council, Keller’s programs emphasize the importance of valuing student input and leadership. Nearly all of our programs utilize student officers, and when you consider the success of these programs, it quickly becomes evident that the efforts of student leaders provide real, tangible results.

Take for instance, the Keller Indian Band’s leadership team, which is comprised of instructional leadership and operational leadership. So many of the activities at Keller bring in such a large number of participants that often, the adult staffs simply aren’t big enough to manage all of the minute details that a successful program requires. This is a great problem to have, according to band. Within the last five years, the leadership team for marching season has undergone somewhat of a revamp. It places a primary on peer-to-peer instruction and bonding, which has shown itself in the recent success of the program.

“The main reason I think student leaders exist is to bridge the gap between teachers and students,” Will Allison said.

Allison’s position on the student leadership team is currently as a quartermaster; he and his small team manage all of the behind the scenes technology and equipment. They’re in charge of the speakers, metronomes, and transport of any other items needed for band events, such as drum major podiums and even the playlist blared before practice to get everyone excited before summer rehearsals.

These are the types of jobs that simply wouldn’t get done if not for the trained students who make sure everything runs smoothly. Many student leadership positions in Keller exist on the basis that if the leaders are doing their jobs correctly, you wouldn’t notice them at all.

“I’ve really learned how other people with different personalities react to different situations, and how to reach goals efficiently,” Allison said.

Another important aspect of the student leadership experience is the way in which it teaches everyone, even non-leaders, how to work in a team environment. Student leaders are constantly expected to work cohesively, and when this happens, everyone either learns from experience or from example.

The most important aspect of the student leadership element of Keller’s programs is the ability for organizations to reflect the student body’s vision. When student leaders take charge, they can truly make a difference in the programs. There’s an impetus on student input, which in turn produces organizations where the voices of students make a difference.

Abby Tow, Co-Managing Editor
Greetings! I’m Abby Tow and I’m so excited to be your co-managing editor for The Wigwam this year! I’m a poet and aspiring journalist, dog lover with a dog allergy, Alfredo pizza enthusiast, and Brass Captain in the Keller Marching Band. Catch me at your local Sonic spending all my money on Dr. Pepper and...