• Listen to KNDN at www.radionomy.com/en/radio/kndn

We Can Show You the World

Hannah Webb, Editor-in-Chief

As high school students, we don’t usually make much of an event out of the Olympics. We tend to enjoy sports like football, basketball, and maybe even soccer now and then. These are the sports we anticipate and even celebrate. But this year, Student Council is out to make the Olympics an event just as loved and looked forward to as our typical go-to sports.

Student Council will inaugurate their new event Worldview Night this year on Friday, February 9, starting at 7:00 p.m. The event will feature different food dishes from approximately 20 countries and will essentially be a watch-party for the opening ceremony of the 2018 Winter Olympics.

The idea for the event originated from one of our own students’ experiences. Senior Alex Shah, Student Body Vice President, drew the idea for Worldview Night from his own thoughts on diversity.

“I had the idea for this project after seeing a commercial about the Olympics and thinking of all the different countries the Games unite. As always, food was on my mind, so I began planning a way to combine these two thoughts,” Shah said.

The ultimate purpose of the event runs much deeper than a school-wide watch party. Here at Keller, we’re very much in a cultural bubble. Worldview Night is a way of encouraging diversity and learning about other cultures we may not get to see much of in our town. Farah Mavrakis, Student Body Secretary and one of the lead organizers of the event, believes Worldview Night will start the conversation on the way we should view other cultures.

“The goal for this project is to unite different demographics of the school, and to recognize the various cultures represented by the student body at KHS. We hope that all the students that attend leave feeling proud of where they came from,” Mavrakis said.

A lot of planning and organization has gone into making sure Worldview Night takes place. For the past few months, Student Council members have been planning their foreign dishes and advertising the event to the student body. Junior Aashni Thakkar has been project planning for this event using her contacts in other clubs.

“We have received so much help from the foreign language clubs in order to get a large variety of people and different student council committees to create amazing meals,” Thakkar said.

Worldview Night promises to be a huge hit, and it’s a great way to spend a Friday night with your friends doing something different. Plus, the event is completely free, and there will be food.

Make sure you mark February 9 in your calendar, and come out to Worldview Night!

• We Can Show You the World

Student Life

Seniors! Come to Project Graduation 2018 on Graduation night!

• We Can Show You the World

Student Life

Advanced Placement vs Dual Credit

• We Can Show You the World

Student Life

Orchestra…It Exists!

• We Can Show You the World

Student Life

Calling All Geniuses

• We Can Show You the World

Student Life

Backlash

• We Can Show You the World

Student Life

Keep Calm and Get a Job

• We Can Show You the World

Student Life

How to Survive AP Exams

• We Can Show You the World

Student Life

Why You Should Look Forward to College

• We Can Show You the World

Student Life

GSA: What Does It Mean?

• We Can Show You the World

Student Life

KNDN Radio Update

We Can Show You the World