GSA: What Does It Mean?

Meleah York, Assistant Editor

Some of you might have heard of the newest club at Keller High School, the GSA. But many question the posters in the hallways, confused as to what this club even is. What’s the purpose? What’s the deal? Is this some sort of gay club? Hasn’t this been here for a few years now but disappeared by the second semester? Have no fear. I’m here to answer all of your questions.

GSA stands for Gay-Straight Alliance, and these clubs exist all over the country. Here at KHS, the club is a place for all students to gather and meet new people. It’s a safe community where whether you are gay, bisexual, straight, transgender, or anything in between; you are always welcome. It’s an all-inclusive environment where we don’t have to be defined by labels; we’re just people having a good time. It’s a good and positive start to your morning.

Over the past couple of years, KHS has attempted to start up a club like this, but it eventually fizzles out or loses members. The goal of the GSA this year is to continue keeping our members engaged and to have a safe space for those who might need it at any time. Currently, we are approximately 20 members strong and are planning social events outside of school, which are voted on by the entire club.

Personally for me, it’s always been a priority to help people feel safe in their school. Sometimes we may try to ignore it, but just like every other school we still have bullying, gossip, and prejudices against people who may be different than others. I know that something I craved for as a freshman was a place where I could feel safe about who I was, and I’m extremely happy to have this environment to depend on.

But let me reiterate something here: this club is open to EVERYONE. Your gender, race, sexual orientation, etc., does not matter. There will be no anxiety-inducing interrogation session about your sexuality or gender. We’re just here to give those who need it a place to feel accepted and like they belong. So make sure to stop by on Thursday mornings at 7:45 in room 1106 for donuts (sometimes), games, and fun conversation.

• GSA: What Does It Mean?

Student Life

#686

• GSA: What Does It Mean?

Student Life

Keller Band Update

• GSA: What Does It Mean?

Student Life

Go Green or Go Home

• GSA: What Does It Mean?

Student Life

Images Matter

• GSA: What Does It Mean?

Student Life

Why You Should Join The Wigwam

• GSA: What Does It Mean?

Student Life

What KCAL Can Do For You!

• GSA: What Does It Mean?

Student Life

AP Testing Tips

• GSA: What Does It Mean?

Student Life

Upcoming Indian Theatre Events

• Student Life

College Essays

• GSA: What Does It Mean?

Student Life

Spring Cleaning

GSA: What Does It Mean?