• Listen to KNDN at www.radionomy.com/en/radio/kndn

What’s Magical?

Ashlyn Dodson, Staff Writer

Do you ever find yourself inexplicably craving the extravagance and ambiance of the English renaissance around Christmastime? Naturally. But such an experience can be hard to come by these days, especially without breaking the bank. Fortunately, the Keller Choir program has a solution: Madrigal.

You’re probably thinking “There’s no way,” but yes.

Yes.

Madrigal (madrəɡəl) is a once-a-year event that tells a festive and renaissance-inspired story with musical performances, excellent food, and a quirky, comical piece of theatre. Each of the choirs from Camerata to Varsity Mixed and even the Tribe show choir perform pieces they have rehearsed for weeks in advance. Students in the Varsity Mixed choir audition for characters with speaking lines, and other students are sorted into guards, ladies-in-waiting, and wenches based on which choir they’re in.

Each student either rents or makes their own costume, and all choir members help transform the cafeteria into Pate Orr Castle with a plethora of festive decorations. Parent volunteers also assist in the production by decorating and preparing the food that is served.

Madrigal is certainly a favorite performance among choir students. Patrick Gee, a two-year Varsity Mixed choir member who played the Jester in last year’s production, said, “Madrigal is one of the highlights of the year because it’s more than a concert. We get to sing, but we also get to do something unique in cool, medieval costumes.”

The Madrigal performances are December 8 and 9 from 6-9 p.m. The Keller Choir program has put a great amount time and effort into this production, and it will definitely show in their performance. So if you get the chance, support the program simply by wishing a choir student good luck.

• What’s Magical?

Student Life

Seniors! Come to Project Graduation 2018 on Graduation night!

• What’s Magical?

Student Life

Advanced Placement vs Dual Credit

• What’s Magical?

Student Life

Orchestra…It Exists!

• What’s Magical?

Student Life

Calling All Geniuses

• What’s Magical?

Student Life

We Can Show You the World

• What’s Magical?

Student Life

Backlash

• What’s Magical?

Student Life

Keep Calm and Get a Job

• What’s Magical?

Student Life

How to Survive AP Exams

• What’s Magical?

Student Life

Why You Should Look Forward to College

• What’s Magical?

Student Life

GSA: What Does It Mean?

What’s Magical?