How Being Alive is a Revolution

Abby Tow, Staff Writer

I’ll begin with a disclaimer. Nowhere in this article (or in my life) will I be apologizing or explaining to you how I am not one of those: the neurotic irritable and easily combustible feminazis who parade around throwing punches at anyone who boasts that, “I was just raised to think _______  about women.”

Nowhere will I deny it either. Because I am irritable. I am neurotic. I am explosive and combustible. But if you’re not like me at this point, and you understood the gravity of the statistics that I read and live on a regular basis, you would be, too.

I will continue with a secondary disclaimer: this article is aimed those who come to find themselves wondering about what it means to be a woman these days, to have birth control legal and readily available, to have career options that would have been fantasies to our great-grandmothers and grandmothers, and to have legitimate life goals aside from domestic bliss and perfectly folded sheets, and to be able to attend college, but on the same token live in a world where every one in ten women on those college campuses will be sexually assaulted in their time there, where globally, child marriage, gendercide, female genital mutilation, and lack of protection for female assault victims exists. If you’ve ever thought that feminists have nothing to complain about, that it’s all “made up,” or that it’s simply all overreaction, you’re wrong.

And it’s okay that you’re wrong.

But we all have the responsibility to open our eyes and defend those who need defending, to stand up for people when they need standing up for, and to stand back and allow it when people need to stand up for themselves.

What it means to be a feminist these days is centered around intersectionality, recognizing the faults of past feminist movements, and supporting other women in a society that is very, very concerned with pitting women against women. Ever turned on reality television? Go channel surfing and you’ll find catfight after catfight while the male stars watch casually to the side. Ever listened to the girls by the lockers talking aggressively or harshly about other girls their age? It’s rampant. It’s apparent. And it shows other boys that we’re okay with them talking the same trash.

So, how do we as women go about making the world a better place for everyone, specifically other women? The best way to do this is simply supporting other women. Making a conscious effort to stick up for our gal pals, even if we don’t know them, is the only way to stop girl-on-girl hate, especially in school. Empower girls at every opportunity. Stick up for men as well when their lives are affected by gender inequality. Love yourself, love others. Simple and complicated at the same time. Challenge stereotypes. Refuse to allow self-hatred into your life.

The bottom line is: being a girl, strong and alive, is a revolutionary feminist action in itself. So keep being yourselves, ladies.

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the various authors and forum participants on this web site do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of The Wigwam or official policies of The Wigwam.

• How Being Alive is a Revolution

Editorials

Mental Health

• How Being Alive is a Revolution

Editorials

Remember Who You Are

• How Being Alive is a Revolution

Editorials

Criminals: Born or Made?

• How Being Alive is a Revolution

Editorials

The ‘Trump Reaction’ to the Puerto Rican Tragedy

• How Being Alive is a Revolution

Editorials

Keller High School’s Trash Problem

• How Being Alive is a Revolution

Editorials

Why People Go to Football Games and Not Theatre Shows

• How Being Alive is a Revolution

Editorials

Why “Boy” Scouts Are Now Including Girls

• How Being Alive is a Revolution

Editorials

Pens: The Superior Writing Utensil

• How Being Alive is a Revolution

Editorials

Word Count.

• How Being Alive is a Revolution

Editorials

The Monopoly of the Cafeteria

How Being Alive is a Revolution