Faces of KISD: Laura Davis

Keller High School English Teacher

Hannah Webb, Editor-in-Chief

Laura Davis is entering her fourth year teaching at Keller High School. Throughout her time here, she’s taught English for freshmen, juniors, and seniors, become an NHS adviser, taken on the role of leading Spear-It Crew, and earned a reputation for her love of all things nerdy. Her classroom itself is covered in posters of her favorite shows, books, movies, and everything in between.

Before I sat down to talk with Ms. Davis, I thought the posters were just that: posters, simple statements to express the things she loves. But behind the surface appearance of self-expression, to me the posters now represent Davis’s policy of “blurring the lines” between her personal life and her school life. In my time with her, she explained to me that she believes her role as a teacher is to form personal connections with her students, to let them into her life as much as possible. With one of the most inspiring stories I have ever had the privilege of hearing as a journalist, Davis wears this policy like a badge of honor every day that she comes to work at Keller High School.

Davis’s father was a drug addict and paranoid schizophrenic who was hardly, if ever, stable. With his addiction also came his regular dealing of drugs. When she was only in middle school, her family lost their apartment. Along with her mother and sister, she began to jump from hotels to shelters to friends’ carpets, looking for a permanent home. Her mother had never graduated from high school and had never attended college.

“We never really knew where we were going to be. The one thing that I had that was constant for me was school,” said Davis.

School turned out to be exactly where Davis learned to make the kinds of connections with students that she does today. One day, as she was walking down the side of the highway to whatever location happened to be home, a car pulled up next to her. It was her math teacher, a woman named Monica Wood. Wood gave Davis a ride in her car and after learning about Davis’s home situation, began to allow Davis to stay in her classroom until it was time for her to leave school. Wood let Davis do homework, grade papers, and do anything else that would keep her mind busy.

“The only thing I can think of that got me anywhere close to where I am today is the fact that somebody in my school took ownership, and made something solid [for me],” said Davis. “I want to give back to the community that I can say without a doubt saved my life.”

Her way of giving back to the teaching community has manifested itself in the policy she lives by at Keller–blurring the lines. Davis takes pride in being more than open with her students on her life experiences and the things that she loves. She believes sharing a personal connection with students allows them to benefit as much from her classes as they can‒anyone could agree, a work environment is made much better when you feel someone there cares about you.

“That’s what I love about the blurred lines between my personal and my education life; because they are blurred, it gives that sense of companionship,” said Davis.

The hardships Davis experienced throughout her childhood allowed her to grow into one of the most down-to-earth, dedicated educators we have the privilege of having here at Keller High School. She brings both the passion and the knowledge essential in her field to the table.

Hannah Webb, Editor-in-Chief
Hey, everyone, I’m Hannah! I’m a senior this year, and I’m going into my third year on The Wigwam. I am beyond excited to serve as the Editor-in-Chief this year. The Wigwam has a special place in my heart; it’s allowed me to use my passion for words to express myself, and it’s helped me...