Hannah Webb, Editor-in-Chief

Hannah Webb, Editor-in-Chief

Well, here it is. The end of the final chapter, the last page in the book, the conclusion of my thoughts spilling onto a page for The Wigwam. I know I’m supposed to share some profound wisdom that the rest of you will be able to use throughout your life to enjoy success wherever you go, but I just don’t think that’s the kind of senior tribute I want to write.

That’s not me. Anyone who knows me well knows that while I may seem to have it together on the outside, I am most definitely still trying to figure out my place in this world and who I’m supposed to be. The reality is that I don’t have all that much wisdom to impart on you, so I’m not going to sit here and preach to you. What I am going to do is what I’m best at. I’m going to write, and I’m going to tell you my story. Maybe if you’re lucky, you’ll learn something from that.

For the last three years, my mysterious, ever-illusive “place in this world” has been with The Wigwam staff. Take it from someone who’s definitely been involved in her fair share of clubs and organizations in high school, you’ll never find a better family than a group of writers and artists just trying to make it in this world. I owe it to this family for always lifting me up and encouraging me to follow my dreams, no matter what those dreams might be. From our group counseling sessions to our inside jokes from UIL competitions, I couldn’t have asked for a better family to spend my time in high school with.

They say the best moments in life come when you aren’t expecting them, and that saying has definitely proved its worth in my time on the newspaper staff. Anyone could see it; The Wigwam has been through a lot of change. Halfway through my journalism career here, we had a sponsor change, and every year we’ve lost a significant amount of seniors to graduation.

You wouldn’t expect us to be going all that strong, but even through the turbulent waters, there’s one thing that hasn’t gone away: the support, the undeniable talent, and the love that our staff members have for what they do. I never expected to make some of my closest friends on the newspaper staff, but here I am. I have a close circle that I know I’ll keep in contact with throughout the rest of my life, whether I end up as a writer or not.

Of course, I can’t forget the influence that my second mother/school mom Ms. Cyndi Lemke has had on me. This woman is one of the most dedicated educators I have ever met, both to her students and her subject. She’s been a shoulder I can cry on, a mentor in my writing, and a voice of reason telling me to think twice before doing something irrational (which happens more often than you might think). There are few people in my life whose opinion I respect as much as hers.

Overall, I guess I just want to say thank you. I’ve decided that really, this was never a tribute to myself. This is a thank you note to everyone who’s touched me on this path, because it’s you all who have made me the person I am today. You’re the reason I jump for the moon and my dreams.

Thank you to my fellow editors and Wigwam staff. Thank you to my school mom. Thank you to all those who have allowed me to tell their stories, because everyone has a story tell, and it’s been my honor to tell the incredible ones we have at Keller High School. You’ve taught me that this is what life is about: understanding others through their unique stories and experiences, doing your best to do those stories justice, and above all, giving a voice to the voiceless. I guess my biggest lesson in high school didn’t come from all those AP classes I piled on. It came from following my passion.

And that’s it. My story is the summation of all those I have encountered up to this point. It’s nothing incredible, but it’s real. It’s enough for me to know that I’ve done my best to find the extraordinary in the ordinary days here at Keller High School. And as much as I may not want to admit it, I’ll miss you, KHS.

Signing off for the last time as your editor-in-chief,

Hannah Webb, Editor-in-Chief