Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals

Abby Wormsbaker, Staff Writer

If you’re anything like me, you’ve wondered what the food plan would be for when it comes to the holidays that’ll fit into the vegan lifestyle; thinking it’ll be too complicated to gather recipe ideas so you take the easy way out and just cook a bunch of vegetables, sweet potatoes, or maybe even just a pre-made meal that you can just heat in the microwave for five minutes.

Speaking from past experiences…I am here to tell you that it is not difficult at all. Despite the rest of your family enjoying the traditional Thanksgiving meal — turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole — it is easy to mimic these meals in a way that doesn’t hurt the environment, your body, or animals. On that note, here are some vegan Thanksgiving meals that you can make for yourself, your family or even just for fun and eventually throw away.

Snacks:

1. Cinnamon Apple Slices: this is a fun and simple snack to have out for people to eat. A juicy honey-crisp apple with dashes of cinnamon will do the trick and have people dancing.
  2. Autumn Quinoa Salad: this easy salad consists of kale, dried cranberries, almonds, walnuts, red grapes, and quinoa. (Feel free to add/take out anything you’d like.)
  3. Cornbread: All you need to make this incredible cornbread is grounded flaxseed, water, canola oil, all-purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, soymilk and a pinch of salt. This goes fantastic with the chili recipe listed below.

Dinner:

1. Bean and Sweet Potato Chili: This is a delicious chili dish for cold days. Sweet potatoes, cumin, oregano, any kind of beans, corn, carrots, celery, bell peppers, or any other kind of vegetables you’d like. I recommend tempeh, tofu, or seitan and even some avocado on top to finish it off.
  2. Sweet Potato Pumpkin Soup: This soup was my absolute go-to during the fall. For the base you will need creamy pumpkin soup (the Imagine Brand), add squared sweet potatoes, minced onion, black pepper, spinach, broccoli, black beans, and top it off with pecans, tomato, and avocado. It’ll warm you right up.
  3. Lentil Loaf: This amazing recipe consists of simple ingredients: Lentils, garlic, onion, and apple, walnuts, carrots, and celery. I suggest serving with side of green beans, corn, and even some steamed broccoli.

Dessert:

1. Pecan Pie: This delicious pecan pie consists of the usual ingredients of sugar, vanilla extract, crust, pecans, maple syrup and non-dairy milk. This pie goes great with a scoop of So Delicious Vanilla Ice Cream.
  2. Oatmeal Cookies: This cookie is as simple as it gets. All you need is 2 bananas, 1 cup of oats, cinnamon, any type of nut or chocolate chips and simply mix it all in bowl. Scoop out into reasonable sizes, bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes and there you go. Simple, but delicious.
  3. Walnut-Fudge Brownies: These brownies are mouthwatering and amazing with So Delicious Vanilla Ice Cream. All you need to make them is coconut oil, dark chocolate, golden brown sugar, unbleached all-purpose flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, espresso or chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Serve with the ice cream and prepare for heaven.

When you’re contemplating on what to make during Thanksgiving this year, make sure to give these recipes some thought. Of course if you want to add on or take out any ingredients in any of these meals, feel free to. A lot of people are allergic to nuts (and other things) but that’s an easy fix, but be sure to make sure the ingredients you use are actually vegan. If you want to add your own style this year and recreate the traditional thanksgiving meal, there are several ways you can do so by substituting certain ingredients or even using plant-based “meats” like tofurkey. And by all means, these meals are only a few ideas. There are several holiday themed meals you can find almost anywhere, and the creations are endless and all so yummy. Enjoy.

• Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals

Features

When is it Acceptable to Start Celebrating Christmas?

• Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals

Features

Target Black Friday Gonzo Journalism Spectacular

• Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals

Features

Thanksgiving Foods

• Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals

Features

KISD’s New GPA Policy: A Help or A Hindrance?

• Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals

Features

Catching Up with a Senior from 2017

• Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals

Features

Colder Weather

• Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals

Features

Everybody Deserves to Feel Like Somebody

• Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals

Features

A Fair Day for a State Fair

• Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals

#FacesOfKISD

Faces of KISD: Christi McFarland

• Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals

Features

73 Questions with Dr. Nasra

Plant-Based Thanksgiving Meals