Disaster Strikes!

Juliyanna McCracken, Staff Writer

As destruction has struck the southern United States, we attempt to recover from the traumatic wind and water blended together to create something we call a hurricane.  According to Hurricane News, “Harvey roots can be traced back to a tropical wave that emerged from the African coast in early August.”

That disturbance finally formed into Tropical Storm Harvey east of the Lesser Antilles on August 17. Those islands experienced locally heavy rain and gusty winds as Harvey passed through.

A couple of days later, Harvey succumbed to dry air and unfavorable winds aloft in the eastern Caribbean, and the National Hurricane Center ceased advisories on August 19.

The remnants of Harvey continued to push northwest for several days and eventually crossed Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula. Once its remnants moved back over water in the southwest Gulf of Mexico, Harvey quickly reformed into a tropical depression on August 23.

In just 56 hours, Harvey grew from a regenerated tropical depression over the Gulf of Mexico into a Category 4 hurricane as it made landfall near the Texas Gulf Coast late on August 25. Starting on August 23, Hurricane Harvey grew rapidly and became a force to be reckoned with.

As many recap on the lives that we lost, and the severe flooding, we begin to recover and rebuild what has been lost. There are many debates, based on political views, of how this situation should best be handled. According to The New York Times, “In swamping large swaths of Texas and Louisiana, Hurricane Harvey also forged a new reality for President Trump and the Republicans governing Washington.”

Gone are the confrontational talk of a government shutdown and the brinkmanship over the debt limit. Instead, both Mr. Trump and his putative allies in Congress — many of them professed fiscal hawks — are promising an outpouring of federal aid to begin a recovery and rebuilding effort that will last for years and require tens of billions of dollars, if not substantially more, from Washington.

The storm has utterly transformed the federal fiscal picture.

“This is going to change the whole dynamic for September and, quite frankly, for the Republican establishment for the remainder of the 115th Congress,” said G. William Hoagland, a longtime chief budget adviser to Senate Republicans who is now a senior vice president at the Bipartisan Policy Center. “The truth of the matter is, they don’t need money to build a wall in Texas, but to rebuild the shoreline in Texas.”

Facing a difficult September, deeply divided over spending and what to do about the debt limit, Mr. Trump and congressional leaders may find that a devastating storm has provided them the common cause that has proved so elusive after their failure to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act.

Mr. Trump is eager to be seen as a competent manager in his first big test in a natural disaster, and a shutdown could shatter that image. Lawmakers want to deliver for the Texas and Louisiana communities pounded by Harvey, a region that is not only a driver of the national economy but a center of Republican strength.

The United States is doing everything they can to help the all the survivors, and victims involved in Hurricane Harvey.

• Disaster Strikes!

Features

73 Questions with Dr. Nasra

• Disaster Strikes!

Features

Kat’s Cradle: YOU NEED SLEEP

• Disaster Strikes!

Features

Holding on with Optimism: The Future of Technology and Its Impact.

• Disaster Strikes!

Features

How To Be Normal (For Beginners)

• Disaster Strikes!

Features

Help for Houston: Keller Student Starts Donation Drive for Harvey Victims

• Features

KHS to Regain Title as Spirit Icon

• Disaster Strikes!

Features

How to Survive Switchin’ Schools as a Senior

• Disaster Strikes!

#FacesOfKISD

Faces of KISD: Laura Davis

• Disaster Strikes!

Features

The Beat Goes On

• Disaster Strikes!

#FacesOfKISD

Faces of KISD: Melanie Rhodes

Disaster Strikes!