Gun Control

Juliyanna McCracken, Staff Writer

According to Just Facts, gun control is a huge issue in the United States.

* Roughly 16,459 murders were committed in the United States during 2016. Of these, about 12,000 or 73 percent were committed with firearms.

* A 1993 nationwide survey of almost 5,000 households found that over the previous five years, at least 0.5 percent of households had members who had used a gun for defense during a situation in which they thought someone “almost certainly would have been killed” if they “had not used a gun for protection.” This amounted to 162,000 such incidents per year. This excludes all “military service, police work, or work as a security guard.”

* Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5.9 million violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2014. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders. Of these, about 600,000 or 10 percent were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun.

* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology, U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least over 989,000 times per year.

* A 1993 nationwide survey of almost 5,000 households found that over the previous five years, at least 3.5 percent of households had members who had used a gun “for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere.” This amounted to over one million such incidents per year. This excludes all “military service, police work, or work as a security guard.”

* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.

Gun control is a sore subject, and should be dealt with in a cautious but strict manner. In 2016 alone there were over 16,000 murders because of the lack of gun control in the U.S. Gun control should be a priority not only in our homes, but also in our schools.

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the various authors and forum participants on this web site do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of The Wigwam or official policies of The Wigwam.

• Gun Control

Editorials

The importance of newspaper

• Gun Control

Editorials

We Need to Destigmatize Mental Health

• Gun Control

Editorials

On the Importance of Journalism

• Gun Control

Editorials

Self Expectations

• Gun Control

Editorials

An Artist To Remember: Avicii

• Gun Control

Editorials

The Last Semester

• Gun Control

Editorials

KISD Dress Code Distracts Me From My Education

• Gun Control

Editorials

What are Libertarians?

• Gun Control

Editorials

Students Call for Nationwide Walkout

• Gun Control

Editorials

Teacher Appreciation

Gun Control